KNOW THE FACTS:
- Alcoholism is the third-leading cause of preventable
deaths in the U.S.
- Risk factors associated with alcohol abuse are:
- Family genetics
- Heavy drinking is defined as consuming eight or more alcoholic beverages per week for women and 15 or more alcoholic beverages per week for men.
- Approximately 17 million adults 18 and older have an alcohol use disorder — about 11.2 million men and 5.7 million women.
- Only about 1.4 million adults receive treatment for an alcohol use disorder at a specialized facility.
If you or a loved one has an alcohol problem, the UF Health Florida Recovery Center can help. The team offers four levels of care for alcohol addiction — detox, day treatment, residential treatment and outpatient treatment. The UF Health Shands Employee Assistance Program also offers help for employees struggling with alcohol abuse or addiction. Contact FRC by calling 855-265-4FRC (4372) or EAP by calling 352-265-5493.